Barrie, Belleville, Brampton, Brantford, Brockville, Bruce Pennisula, Chatham, Cornwall, Guelph, Hamilton, Kanata, Kapuskasing, Kenora, Kingston, Kirkland Lake, Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo, London, Manitoulin Island, Milton, North Bay, Oshawa, Ottawa, Owen Sound, Peterborough, Renfrew County, Sarnia, Sault Ste. Marie, St. Catharines - Niagara, Sudbury, Thunder Bay , Timmins, Toronto, Windsor, Woodstock
Shopify is a platform built for independent business owners of all shapes and sizes to start, sell, market and manage their businesses online, in-store, and everywhere between. With a comprehensive set of industry-leading tools, Shopify has helped over 1,000,000 people in 175 countries take control of where they take their businesses. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Shopify has worked with brands like Unilever, Gymshark, Allbirds and countless others that started with nothing but an idea, a passion, or a purpose.
Please note we are currently accepting applications for start dates as early as May-June 2021. Our team will be reviewing and responding to applications on a first-come first-serve basis. You can expect to hear from us regardless of the outcome of your application, generally within a few weeks of applying. This posting will remain open until we’ve received enough applications to fulfill our available openings.
We are so excited that you are reading this and hope that you will decide to apply! Please note that we are looking for applications from the following eastern provinces: Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador.
The work of a Support Advisor, otherwise known as a Customer Support Representative, is incredibly rewarding and equally challenging. Our merchants have amazing stories filled with highs and lows, frustrations, and triumphs. It is in these moments and many in between that you would make an impact.
As a Support Advisor you’ll work remotely from the comfort of your home while working within a dynamic, diverse and supportive environment. You won’t always know the answers to the questions you’re being asked, so your ability to be resourceful is key! We believe in human-centred, high-quality customer experiences. Using chats, phone calls and emails, you’ll be there to listen, teach, problem solve and explore growth opportunities with Shopify merchants. As part of that growth, you’ll be there to connect merchants with potential new features or plans to ensure they get the most out of the Shopify platform.
If you’re up for the challenge and enjoy working in a high-pressure environment, we encourage you to apply and take part in a hiring process that will allow you to meet folks at Shopify and get a taste for what the job entails. We aim to provide you with as much information about the role early in the process so that you know what to expect throughout, and in your first few months.
Following 5 weeks of training & mentoring, you will begin responding to our merchants on live channels as part of a small Team, who is there to support you. All Support Advisors work a combination of weekdays, weekends and holidays in a full-time capacity.
We believe in supportive teams, an inclusive work environment and providing growth opportunities within your role. We also work remotely – which means you get to be part of a fast-growing global tech company from the comfort of your home.
Even if you’ve never held a similar position but you’re interested so far and relate to the things we’ve outlined below, we want to hear from you!
- Adhering to a daily schedule that includes a mix of: Phones, three (3) simultaneous chats, and emails.
- Ensuring merchants have a quick response time by staying on top of your assigned tickets, with same-day ticket review.
- Acting as a business coach and thinking about the merchant’s business holistically when offering solutions.
- Completing essential follow-up documentation after each interaction.
- Engaging in human conversations with merchants to identify and resolve issues, and provide coaching/growth opportunities for their businesses.
- Offer needs-based solutions, not pushy sales.
- Advocating for merchants and the Shopify platform by communicating with stakeholders.
- Owning your own development through reflection, reviewing past interactions and preparing to discuss growth opportunities with your lead in regular 1:1 meetings.
Requirements for the role
- Available to work full-time (40 hours per week) on a rotating schedule with varying 8-hour shifts starting anytime between 7:00 am – 11:00 am in your local timezone. This means some days your shifts could be as early as 7am-3pm, and as late as 11am-7pm. This includes working weekends and holidays on a rotating basis.
- Live and have legal authorization to work in Canada.
- Extensive experience providing exceptional customer service in a contact centre, retail or service environment.
- Have appropriate remote work set-up – such as a quiet space, stable internet connection, and a back-up location in case of issues with the primary location.
- Have access to a wired internet speed of at least 25 Mbps download speed and 10 Mbps upload. You can check your speed here.
- Proven track record of being incredibly resourceful and finding solutions even when there is no clear path.
- Ability to adapt to new processes and work accurately in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Proficiency with technology paired with excellent typing skills.
- Have strong reading, writing and communication skills.
- Willingness to learn all about entrepreneurship, care deeply about people support and enjoy having genuine human conversations.
- Possess high level of understanding, patience and empathy. Able to navigate more difficult conversations/interactions with professionalism.
- Are committed to continuous growth and learning. You understand that every challenge is an opportunity and you get excited about learning new things.
- Ensure privacy and security practices are followed at all times for both merchants and Shopify.
- A background or interest in business, marketing, retail, or sales.
- Ran or had exposure to running a business or being an entrepreneur.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify’s commitments.
Please note that if you haven’t heard from us in 4 weeks time we recommend checking your junk folder and whitelisting “Shopify” as, at times, our emails have ended up in junk folders.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.